food for thought: love

the last week with so many things going on with the children activities, work, training and trying to lose weight for the next sailing regatta and the girls and Ely being sick one after the other....my tolerance and patient level was very thin and i'm ashamed to say that poor shayne got the brunt of it on Friday. for the first time ever in our 9 1/2 years of marriage i stayed angry with him all day. he knew he was in trouble but i didn't want to talk about it which just made me more miserable than anything. i don't know why i thought he should know or figure out by himself why i was angry (you'd think that after all these time i would realise that sometimes men just don't get it. you have to spell it out slowly to them). anyway - after finally telling him the reasons why i was angry, i felt kinda selfish. guilt started to creep in and i started thinking that this is not how i want to love him.

yesterday, i read a post on another blog (sorry can't remember which) and in it spoke of love - how it's not a feeling but a decision which got me thinking about the bible reading from our wedding -  1 Corinthians 13:

1 If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing. 4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. 11When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. 12 Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. 13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.


I have made a conscious decision to love my husband, family and friends (and everybody else) as close to the verses above as possible.

My love will be Patient, it will be Kind, it will not Envy, it will not Boast (this is a bit hard when it comes to our children), it will not be Rude, It will always Protect, always Trust, always Hopes, always Perseveres and It will Never Fail.


photos by Kama Catch Me 

Comments

Popular Posts