stories from the kitchen

It's taken me a while to be convince myself to include my thoughts and journey in this blog as so far it's only been a recipe collection place. I've been thinking about it more and more and I think the final conviction came when I was going though my photos (over 40k) that i realise time goes by so quickly and i really need to document my journey - for myself and it's one place that i can come back to when I need to and maybe when our girls are older it would give them an insight of who I am - the unsaid stuff. It's also the appropriate page I guess as I spend most of the time when I am at home in the kitchen, cooking, eating, helping the girls with their homework, catching up on happening of the day.

I am not a very good writer and i tend to be all over the place - for this I apologise and please feel free to correct my grammar etc. English is my second language - that can be a story for another post.

I have so many things going on right now and I thought I knew where I'd start but now that I am writing I don't actually know where to start. Maybe I'd start with every girl and especially Mum's favourite hate subject - losing the kilos.

I've just completed 60 minutes on the elliptical machine after not doing any exercise for a week and so I thought I'd start with that as it's when i do a lot of my thinking and it's a little me time where I get to listen to my favourite podcasts or an audio book. Who knew that my Friday night would be spent working out whilst watching The Voice. One of my all time favourite book is Sushi for Beginners. I read the book when I was still single, the story was set in Ireland, here I was in Fiji and I could totally relate to everything in the book - half the time I was like - OMG my friends and I do that! So the thought was even though I am all the way in Fiji, in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, there must be other mothers around the world going though similar things as I am and if my ramblings somehow reaches them and helps in any way then awesome.

I am just a working mother of 4. A beautiful boy who sadly left us this year in January at the age of 14 and 3 fiery, sensitive, beautiful girls (8, 5 and 2) who constantly remind me everyday how truly blessed I am.

Anyway the reason why i need to lose weight is that I am also a Hobie 16 sailor and I crew for my amazing husband - Shayne. Our next big competition is next year - the Pacific Games in Papua New Guinea. Shayne and I won gold medals at the Mini Games in Wallis last year and there is a little pressure (not only from ourselves but from our sporting body) for us to do well. We have four selection trials to go through to make the team and last weekend we sailed our first selection regatta which we won. For Shayne and I to be the perfect weight for next year, I need to lose at least 18kg as soon as possible and at least 10kg by the end of November which will be our second selection regatta.  We won our last regatta but Shayne is SUPER competitive and I can't rely on strong wind for us to do well so the weight need to come off.

We've just completed 60 days of Shaun T's Insanity workout but I didn't lose any weight on the scale - I lost body size but not weight which is just as important as being fit in the sport. This is not something new for me by the way. I've had to do this after a year of breastfeeding our babies to prepare for the next regatta but am finding that the older I get, the harder its getting to shed the kilos. I remember when all i had to do was stop eating for a couple of day (very bad I know) and I'd lose weight. I guess I'm also now paying for my bad eating habits and messing up my metabolism. Lesson learnt and learning the hard way here.




Comments

Popular Posts